Clean eating is a deceptively simple concept. … At its simplest, clean eating is about eating whole foods, or “real” foods — those that are un- or minimally processed, refined, and handled, making them as close to their natural form as possible.
Low carb taco shells
- 4 oz fresh spinach leaves 100 g
- 4 cups boiling water
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoon almond meal or oat flour
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 390 F (200 C).
- Place the fresh spinach leaves into a large mixing bowl.
- Cover the spinach leaves with 4 cups of boiling water. Cover. Set aside 2 minutes.
- In another bowl add ice cubes, about 1 cup.
- Using tongs remove the cooked spinach leaves from the mixing bowl and place them into the bowl filled with ice cubes. Stir the leaves into the ice cubes for few seconds to cool down.
- Squeeze the spinach leaves with your hands to remove all the water. It will form a compact spinach 'ball.'
- Pat dry the spinach between layers of absorbent paper to ensure that the cooked spinach are fully dry.
- Finely chopped the cooked spinach on a chopping board.
- Place them into a large mixing bowl and combine with grated cheese, eggs and almond meal, garlic powder and salt until it forms a sort of batter.
- Scoop out the batter onto a baking tray covered with parchment paper. I recommend to spray some olive oil on the parchment paper too to avoid the shells to stick to the paper ! I used a mechanical ice cream scoop maker to scoop out the batter into 4 equal amount of taco shell batter.
- Use your fingers to flatten each scoop of taco batter into a evenly flat thin circle that looks like a taco.
- Bake at 390 F (200 C) for 15 minutes or until it is golden and crispy on sides. Depending on oven and thickness of your tacos you may have to reduce to 350 F (180C). Simply watch the color and texture while baking to avoid burning. It is baked when the border are crispy and slighty golden brown.
- Cool down on a plate few minutes before eating.
- Can be eaten lukewarm or cold with toppings of your choice.
- Toppings ideas: lettuce, scramble eggs, tomatoes, avocado and sriracha sauce for a delicious breakfast or grilled vegetables, tofu, chicken. Any of your favorite taco fillings will be delicious in those shells/Cheese: use any hard grated cheese like mozzarella, cheddar, emmental, edam or colby
- Freezing: freeze well in airtight container. Make sure the shells don't overlap or it make them difficult to defrost individually. Place a piece of parchment paper between each taco to avoid this problem. Defrost in less than 1 hour at room temperature. Rewarm in sandwich wrap or hot oven 1-2 minutes at 150 C (300f).
AMOUNT PER SERVING (1 SHELL)
CALORIES 75CALORIES FROM FAT 50
% DAILY VALUE*
Get yours today on Amazon for 16.95
For more healthy choices check out my Cleaning recipes Page